Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Long time reader, first time poster. I have a dell Precision 670 work station

My question is concerning the 2 physical processors. Now it has 4g ram inside and i have a PNY gt 9500 512 ddr3 ram. The processor I have are 2 3.0ghrz, Xeons with HyperTherading enabled witch gives me 4 processor in task manager. It supports sse2 sse3.(picture is attached of mother board).

I thought it would play emulators good but it does not.(pcsx2 and Dolphin) I have the latest revs of the emulators but i only get 30 frame in dbz, 38 in naruto and 32 in mario sushine.

Most configs i see have sse4 enable on gdsx witch my processors does not support.

is the support of sse4 the key to getting good frames?

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
This should be in the PCSX2 forum.

No, SSE4.1 isn't a make or break. The problem is your CPU(s).

For starters, PCSX2 takes the most of two cores it can, and no more (not that Hyper-threading would equal as much as another real core, not even close). Since you have two single core CPUs, I think, but am not sure, it would treat it as a single dual core, that is, two cores is two cores. I'm not sure how PCSX2 is programmed though, so I don't know, but I'd hope it'd care not how they were arranged, but that two cores were two cores.

So, you have two cores, and PCSX2 benefits nothing from more than two cores (unless it's paired with a Radeon HD3x00 card or Radeon HD4x00 card, neither of which you have), so you're set there, so what's the issue?

The CPU still is. Either way, even if it's two cores, the issue is that your CPUs are slow. The Netburst architecture is not ideal for this. PCSX2 stresses CPU horsepower of two cores above all else (frequency alone does not equal horsepower). If PCSX2 treats those two single core CPUs as a single dual core CPU, you're still looking at basically having a 3.0GHz Pentium D (Hyper-threading makes no difference here). Look for results from such systems, and see if that's what you're getting.

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
9,320 Posts
Splintercraig one thing i'd be interested in you doing is to utilize the second physical processor as dedicated to gsdx software rendering mode, which takes the graphic plugin workload off of the gpu and place it on the secondary cpu. While software rendering mode will undoubtedly be significantly slower then utilizing the hardware rendering mode it will be more accurate.

Try a relatively unintensive game like ffx.

Obviously performance should be slower then a 3ghz Pentium-4D & core2 dual/quadcore because of the physical space between the chips resulting in increased latency between chips and in the case of the core2 inferior architecture, but just for curiosity's sake & fun since we get so few dual socket systems i'd be interested in some performance results from your older system.

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts
Software DirectX 9 is only fast enough on a 4.2GHz Core 2 Quad. Anything below a 3.6GHz Core 2 Quad will crawl in software. And I'm guessing you have a Xeon 7041? If that's the case, it's even more of a bottleneck.

Try updating your graphics card to use hardware if possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.