Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade my processor, and a cheap one I found was 2.5GHz Core2 Penryn Class. My actual question is how many games can I expect to play using this upgrade with this particular application? I need the upgrade ( it's a Lappy ) for another program, but it'd be nice if it did more than support just one school oriented program, you know?

Either way I digress; is there are decent library of games you can play at moderate ( +/- 10% Real Speed ) FPS for a processor at 2.5GHz? I'm using mostly PAL by the way, because well... I now live in that region.

·
Registered
8 Posts
how are you replacing a laptop cpu??? or are you just getting a new laptop? in any case, personally, i got about 50% in ffx with my pentium dual core, and that's essentially a stripped down core 2 duo, that was at 2.0ghz, so i'm guessing it'll be something like 80% on average.

seriously though, the ps2 emu scene is somewhat geared towards high end desktop gear...sorry, i run a quad and that gets me up to 120 (seems to be a rock solid wall there) but usually right around 65 fps (that's a q6600 overclocked to 3.0ghz)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm? I don't see why you couldn't replace a laptop CPU. It works the same as a desktop in theory, but a Pentium and a Dual Core are totally different architectures. I get 80% with my 1.8Ghz C2D now ( USING FFX as the benchmark ).

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
There's a few games that play well at that speed but there's many more that need more processing power 2.8ghz c2d at least is usually recommended for most games.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know I fell off the planet, but thank you a lot Shadow Lady. I will see what I can do though I think I need the processor for Assassin's Creed now more than PCSX2. :lol:

But if I can find a 2.8 Penryn that's not $500+... maybe.

·
Registered
228 Posts
i have a pentium dual core processor, the E5200 . Its a 2.5 ghz at stock but i have mine OC'd to 3.8 , and my 8400 gs is getting bottlenecked from the speed of my CPU. If anyone want to doubt this CPU , u are seriously CRAZY. At 3.8ghz my CPU beats a Q660 at stock in games involving a dual core series processor. Rather to be cheap and OC the heck out of it then buy a expensive quad or a needless processor of the 7000 class and stock e8400
processor. I would say get it and get a Really good cpu cooler and a motherboard that has a high FSB like 1333 or 1600 or 2000 for future proof , and full OC abilities like changing the multipiler and manually adjusting the vcore for more cpu juice at higher clocks . And make sure ur ram is at a ratio 1:1 @ ddr2 800 or 1066. Also get a 8800 gt or a 9800 gtx+ and ur set fa any game thats out . And i promise u wont go broke buying the pieces at all ^_^

1 - 7 of 7 Posts