1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Unlimited...
6,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2,200 GameFly games stolen by mailman
Posted Oct 16, 2009 2:17 pm PT
By thorsen-ink

Philadelphia-area GameFly subscribers who have seen their games go missing in the mail may have an answer. Local news site Philly.com is reporting that a former US Postal Service worker pleaded guilty to stealing over 2,200 games from the Netflix-like, mail-based rental service.

Given the value of the mail theft, Reginald Johnson, 34, (not pictured) now faces 12 to 18 months in a federal prison. According to prosecutors, a surveillance operation found that the ex-mail handler stole $86,000 worth of games from April to September 2008. The operation, which used test mailings, was prompted by increasing reports of GameFly games going missing beginning in late 2007.

When the surveillance operation ended on September 5, 2008, federal agents moved in to arrest Johnson, who attempted to flee in his SUV before crashing it. Authorities recovered 160 GameFly envelopes from the vehicle, along with three Wii Fits, five "Nintendo Wii Sports" (sic), and a unspecified PlayStation console. Also inside the van were numerous receipts indicating Johnson had been trading in games to local GameStop locations in exchange for consoles, according to his plea agreement.

The Philadelphia arrest hits GameFly closer to home than one might think. In 2007, the Los Angeles-based company opened a distribution center in Pennsylvania's second city, Pittsburgh, to improve service to the East Coast.

The thefts also aren't GameFly's only problem with the United States Postal Service. In April, the company filed a complaint with the Postal Regulatory Commission alleging that the USPS gives preferential treatment to Blockbuster and movie-by-mail service Netflix.
---

Kudos to the theft. Thats some hardcore stuff lol.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Sad.. What a shame!

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Indeed.

I stopped stealing games from poorly protected stores years ago (Okay I was like 7 and SNES games were expensive to me then, k?). Though this guy's situation is slightly different, he could learn a few things from me.
How did you pull that off? Those SNES boxes were huge!

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
How did you pull that off? Those SNES boxes were huge!
There was a local mom and pop store that sold them, and they were in the back where the cashier couldn't see. I wore baggy clothing and just stuffed them in.

I usually bought a few cheap things to make it less suspicious.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.