Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pink Poney
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm just wondering what the deal is with these cards. I've been reading reviews on newegg where people are complaining that the 2gb models sometimes only show 1gb.

I know that it's less likely the manufacturer just forgot to put the extra memory on the PCB, and more likely that it's just a BIOS or firmware issue with the card.

Basically, if I'm looking into buying one of these extra-memory versions of a video card, am I getting what I pay for?

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
depends on the resolution of your monitor.

Personally i would just go with an Ati card, they will probably perform much better than your card and priced about the same

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
vram amount is not set in the bios, the bios just detects the current vram available.

·
Pink Poney
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know it's not set in the bios; maybe they screw over a select number of customers? :rolleyes:

It just seemed weird that so many people were claiming to have gotten cards with only 1gb, when they're supposed to have 2gb.

I'm going to wait for the next generation of video cards anyways, so whoever has the best product then will get my dollar.

·
The Master of Disguise
808 Posts
Isn't it possible that the GPU has 1GB per PCB, and it detects 1GB instead of 2GB.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
the 285 is 1 card, thus 1 pcb.

the memory not being detected right is apparently a driver issue.....

·
The Master of Disguise
808 Posts
Well then nvm :dead:I've been falling behind with the Technology a bit, I'm gonna have to start getting up-to-date and maybe kidnap Squall so I don't post comments like that again:D:D

PS: Way to screw things up Nvidia.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.