Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Hi everyone.I'n in a bit of a dilenma right now.I just got a new graphics card, a 128MB DDR Nvidia Geforce FX 5500.I install it in my AGP slot.I then switch on the main power and the power on the card comes on,that is the coolant fan starts spinning,but nothing appears on my monitor.When I fix my monitor's SVGA cord on my onboard AGP port and then switch on the main power with the card still in my AGP slot,that doesn't show too,which means that my motherboard can see the card.Why can't I see anything on my monitor then?Pls help.I'm preety desperate.I've tried all possible solutions I can think of but still no go.I use an Intel Pentium 4 VIA based motherboard which runs on AMI BIOS. Thanks.

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
Have you tried disabling your onboard video in your bios?

·
Banned
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I put in an AGP card in the AGP slot,it automatically overides the onboard video.I was wondering if it would work on my AGP slot cos it is a 4x slot

·
Registered
780 Posts
An 8X card should work in a 4X slot IIRC. Try disabling your onboard video in the bios and make sure its set to use agp and not pci.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
One of the RAM sticks could have loosen it self. Happened to me before...

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think your VGA card is not working or is not compatible with your mobo, there are some mobos that do not work with 8x cards...

·
Banned
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mad said:
One of the RAM sticks could have loosen it self. Happened to me before...

I use only one RAM stick.A Samsung 256MB SDRAM (PC 133).My MOBO has DDR slots but u cant use both SDRAM and DDR at the same time.I was wondering if I am having this problem due to the fact that my main memory is an SDRAM and the graphic card is a DDR.Is it due to memory type conflict?

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
No, theres no problem with that.
So u r saying that its not working at all? With the AGP card nor Onboard one?
Could be the MOBO or processor, do u hear any beeps coming from the speaker?

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Well, go to your MOBO manual, there should be a description there, like:
1)one long beep- ram problem
2)two short beeps-vga problem

Look at your manual, i just made it up the above situation, if theres nothing about beeps there, just post here what u hear, and will help u out.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I´m sure it´s a compatibility problem, I can see in your description you have an ECS board (cheap one), that means less compatibility. Long time ago this happened to me with a PCChips 810, that do not worked with my FX5200... It booted but didn´t show anything on screen so I believe you have a similar trouble...
In fact you have a PCChips mobo... that´s weird...
link: http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Downloads/ProductsDetail_Download.aspx?DetailID=86&DetailName=Manual&DetailDesc=M925(V1.3)&MenuID=0&LanID=0

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Yeah, ive hear some pcchips boards couldnt run Geforce FX´s, from my vendor...

·
Banned
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mauros Web said:
I´m sure it´s a compatibility problem, I can see in your description you have an ECS board (cheap one), that means less compatibility. Long time ago this happened to me with a PCChips 810, that do not worked with my FX5200... It booted but didn´t show anything on screen so I believe you have a similar trouble...
In fact you have a PCChips mobo... that´s weird...
link: http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Downloads/ProductsDetail_Download.aspx?DetailID=86&DetailName=Manual&DetailDesc=M925(V1.3)&MenuID=0&LanID=0
So if I download the update,will it solve my problem

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
I dont think so.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
I think its a board compatibility problem, not a bios problem. Look at all bios updates for your board to see if any solve your problem.
Also look for an official message board to see if others are having the same problem as you.

EDIT: Did a quick browse @ google and found this on my way: http://www.google.com.br/search?q=c...php?threadid=111305+M925+ECS+fx+5200&hl=pt-BR

Seems to me your MOBO doesnt really support AGP 8x cards, although it SHOULD! Your have to either change the VGA to an AGP 4x one or change your MOBO to an AGP 8x one.

Im sorry but thats the truth. Try going back to the reseller and change the 5200 for other thing, maybe a new MOBO....

·
Banned
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
But I went to XFX site and posted my problem to their technical support and they posted the following probable solutions:

Dear customer:

1. Update motherboard BIOS.

2. Make sure the power supply meets the requirement

Dear customer:

1. If power supply does not support video card, there will be no display on your monitor.

2. Motherboard relates to the compatibility issue between interface cards. Make sure you have the latest BIOS.

And in the video card manual,it specifically lists as one of the minimum requirements that the power shouldn't be less than 300W.I tried installing the card last Friday for the first time and that day,I took my CPU to a friend's place where there happened to be a power failure at the time cos he wanted to copy some stuffs from my hard disk.He was using a very small generator but had a lot of PCs powered from it.It was there I encountered my problem listed in the first post of this thread.Since then,I've not been in town where my PC is so I've not been able to try installing the graphic card on my motherboard with regular power supply.I just wonder...........

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
I could be lucky.
PSU could be really nasty sometimes.
I hope this solve your problem.
I said what i said above coz i sell PC parts, and i heard from my vendor that some PCCHIPS MOBO´s dont like FX 5200 cards, but what he really meant was AGP 8x cards.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Point of correction Mad,Mine is a 128MB DDR Geforce FX 5500 not a 5200.Thanks all the same.I really appreciate your concern for my problem.I just hope I don't have to buy another mobo cause I'm flat right now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts