Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
band
Joined
·
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a bit worried...apparently this ugly game uses my comp 100%????

EDIT: sry didnt know the resizing made it so ugly but it gets the point across.
 

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
It's just CPU... almost anything can use up 100%. You can still do other things, it will release CPU power when you do so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
You're cpu is always "being used 100%", if you check System Idle Process when you're doing nothing it will say 98-100% cpu usage. This obviously isnt taking up 98% of your total processing power, but is 98% of what is being done (which is about nill since you have no programs running.) Same goes for el cheapo game of yours:its 98% of what the processer is doing (which again obviously isnt a whole lot ;)).
 

·
OUYA Angel Backer
Joined
·
197 Posts
nahteecirp said:
You're cpu is always "being used 100%", if you check System Idle Process when you're doing nothing it will say 98-100% cpu usage. This obviously isnt taking up 98% of your total processing power, but is 98% of what is being done (which is about nill since you have no programs running.) Same goes for el cheapo game of yours:its 98% of what the processer is doing (which again obviously isnt a whole lot ;)).
This isn't entirely correct. There is a difference between system idle process and this game consuming 100% of the processor. Though, in essence, you're actually correct in that the cycles (probably) aren't actually being used for anything. A lot of games tend to "reserve" all of the processor cycles. This makes the OS report the app is consuming 100% of the processor, when the app is usually not using any of those cycles. The cycles get requested by the app, and the app throws away the ones it doesn't need. Seems kind of backwards ass, but many people claim it makes their games faster and more responsive.

Notably, Ultima Online does this as well.
 

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
Joined
·
1,457 Posts
this would have been a good reply for that guy that wanted to know why epsxe and psxeven were running 100%
 

·
OUYA Angel Backer
Joined
·
197 Posts
Seta-San said:
this would have been a good reply for that guy that wanted to know why epsxe and psxeven were running 100%
There is actually a different reason for this. The way an emulator works is by translating binary instructions from one architecture to another. This is INSANELY processor intensive. It is very likely the PSX emulators were actually using those cycles.
 

·
Just visiting ^_^
Joined
·
8,299 Posts
sigh... RO... haven't played that for a very long time now...
 

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
I installed RO a few months ago just to get the music (and tried to play the trial, but turns out they kept my beta account so I can't register again) :p There are a few good ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,146 Posts
If it's using DirectX at all it should take 100% unless specifically coded otherwise. DirectX takes 100% resources so the CPU's full potential will always be available.
 

·
The one and only
Joined
·
3,658 Posts
WindHydra said:
I installed RO a few months ago just to get the music (and tried to play the trial, but turns out they kept my beta account so I can't register again) :p There are a few good ones.
yea the music is good, but i just create new accounts evetime i run out on the 15 days. but, its usually gets boring after the second account... lmao
 

·
band
Joined
·
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ChrisRay said:
If it's using DirectX at all it should take 100% unless specifically coded otherwise. DirectX takes 100% resources so the CPU's full potential will always be available.
yes, this game uses directx. that is prolly why it takes up 100% then.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,338 Posts
Kethinov said:
The cycles get requested by the app, and the app throws away the ones it doesn't need. Seems kind of backwards ass, but many people claim it makes their games faster and more responsive.
Actually that's not true. PC games do use up all the CPU time that is allocated. It should be noted that most PC games do not have a FPS cap. Instead they render frames as fast as they can using all the CPU power available. This is why you can get over 200 fps in games like Doom 3 on modern hardware. Of course not all the frames will be shown as monitors are capped at a certain refresh rate but it doesn't mean the game is simply throwing away those cycles. Now for emulators it's a bit different as most emulators need to have a FPS limit. I don't know where the extra power goes in that case. :\
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,338 Posts
A lot of emulators do (ZSNES, ePSXe, MAME32, etc.).
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top