May 23rd, 2012
It's been a long time since i released a new version of @ES... sadly due to the lack of time i've been unable to keep up with the project but since last year i started to test and learn a lot of new technologies, techniques and coding patterns. Because of that in the final version of @ES few things are going to change in its structure that will allow people to change and also improve the @ES experience.
This version is the result of all those tests and changes and it includes most of the features i wanted for this version. As many of you know i started to learn C# many years ago and a big portion of the code was old so i decided to optimize that old junk and with it build a new version. The preview build contains the features but do not contains all the optimizations i've done so far... still is the last stable build i made before optimizing things for future releases and development. Anyways my goal with this project is to test new technologies as well as improve myself but most important to provide better experience with each release.
Here is the list of changes since the last version:
- 3D swich effect when switching between layers
- Screen slide(similar to tablets)
- Better grabbing support
- DosBox emulator support
- Better ePSXe and PJ64 support
- Naomi emulator support
- Better Directshow support
- Better ID3 tag support(almost every format except mkv)
- Video tags and cover embedding support(video now has tags just like mp3 and others)
- Roms cover support
- Fullscreen UI support
- Application space layer(slide in the main screen)
- Custom games space layer(slide in the main screen)
- Animated background support
- Youtube layer(experimental)
- Re-worked ID3 tag editor
- Basic lastfm support
- Favorites layer(experimental)
- Better search mechanism
- Deep search(search items inside albums or sub-albums)
- New UI layout(@ES's final version Gray Moon theme base)
- Re-worked settings layer
- Selectable audio renderer for audio and video
- Re-worked listview control
- Better virtualization
- Better multi-threading handling
- Realtime mirror layer(audio controls)
- Spectrum analyzer
- PS3 BD remote control support(auto syncs when @ES starts)
- Emulator preview on screen slider
- Decent PC(this version isn't for tablets)
- Windows Vista or higher(this version was not made for XP sorry)
- .Net framework 4.0
Last but not least... this is just a preview build of the last stable version. @ES - GraFX "Gray Moon" is the codename of the final version which in its actual form is better and more optimized than this preview build. However since is in current development isn't as stable as this build is. As mentioned in another thread i made a "sort" of feature freeze a while ago so i'm concentrating right now in optimizations and stability of the current build.
The main differences between this preview build and the current "Gray Moon" build are:
- Vector graphics usage instead of bitmaps for better scalability and performance.
- MVVM coding pattern and better project structure(the current preview one was the result of a lot of tests and old code but still is quite stable)
- Better UI handling and x86 tablets mode(for usage on x86 tablets)
- Overal optimizations and modularisation.
- Advanced UI layout based in MVVM coding pattern.
- Open source(except @ES's core which is going to remain close source)
- More screen spaces and customizations.
- Items repositioning and dragging.
- Smoother UI transitions(due to the heavy optimizations).
- Realtime battery status.
- Notifications and events center.
- Wiimote support.
- Stable God Music layer.
- Better global exception handling(0 crashes)
Here some screenshots of "Gray Moon" in its current form:
Note to beta testers:
This version do not include the "God Music" layer for obvious reasons
Enjoy this build and feel free to post any suggestions or bugs that may appear. I've fixed a lot of things since i completed the preview build as mentioned above but maybe there are some hidden bugs somewhere... who knows oh, and remember... this is a preview build so few things may change in the final version or probably aren't working yet... i know i took quite long time to release a nother version but i focus more about quality instead of quantity this days
Over and out
Uploaded a new executable that fixes the following bugs:
- Crash on exit after editing ID3 tag.
- VBA M926 was not grabbed by @ES.
Thanks q_byrd03 for the report!
Uploaded a new build that fixes the following bugs:
- Bug that prevented Dolphin from being grabbed(thanks q_byrd03 for the tests and report)
- But that prevented PJ64 1.7+ from being grabbed(thanks Darksamus for the report)
41 comments on "@ES - GraFX(Preview build) released!"
Ummm, @ruantec....you forgot the link...
For some reasons it didn't worked so i had to re-upload the files.
Thanks for the link!
Forgot to mention that animated backgrounds are nothing but video files. Windows dreamscenes can be used as animated background or any type of video as well.
Here is the Mediafire link of my favorite one(the animated background option must be active in the "Misc" settings):
Gonna test this. Thanks.
cant wait to check it out!
Wow! This preview build is amazing with so many features
My experience with @ES-GraFX (Preview Build)
Loading @ES-GraFX/Scanning Roms & Files are fast
From testing everything is working fine except for the following at least from my end
Dolphin (using the recommend version) It doesn't render in @ES -GraFX automatically. Instead it opens up Dolphin Main Window and I have to click on a game to render it in @ES-GraFX. Plus Dolphin's Main Window stays open while playing but closes once I close the emulator from within @ES - GraFX.
Plays fine but when I edit a tag while playing music, saves the tag and then close @ES-GraFX I get the following error
I've inform Joel about these bugs
PS. DeSmuME doesn't work in this version which was confirmed
Thank you guys and thank you q_byrd03 for the report. I've uploaded a new executable to the main post that fixes the ID3 tag bug as well as grabbing problems with VBA M926. Still trying to figure out why Dolphin do not work on your end.
Updated the Mediafire Mirror with the new exe
Also going to edit my original mirror link post
Testing on LMN's new laptop and on my desktop PC. Both are running Windows 7 Ultimate x64...
PJ64 is not being grabbed by @ES here. You can only hear the sound of the game and the @ES screen only displays constant loading.
Using PJ64 version 22.214.171.124
Otherwise its a great release.