May 23rd, 2012
It's been a long time since i released a new version of @ES... sadly due to the lack of time i've been unable to keep up with the project but since last year i started to test and learn a lot of new technologies, techniques and coding patterns. Because of that in the final version of @ES few things are going to change in its structure that will allow people to change and also improve the @ES experience.
This version is the result of all those tests and changes and it includes most of the features i wanted for this version. As many of you know i started to learn C# many years ago and a big portion of the code was old so i decided to optimize that old junk and with it build a new version. The preview build contains the features but do not contains all the optimizations i've done so far... still is the last stable build i made before optimizing things for future releases and development. Anyways my goal with this project is to test new technologies as well as improve myself but most important to provide better experience with each release.
Here is the list of changes since the last version:
- 3D swich effect when switching between layers
- Screen slide(similar to tablets)
- Better grabbing support
- DosBox emulator support
- Better ePSXe and PJ64 support
- Naomi emulator support
- Better Directshow support
- Better ID3 tag support(almost every format except mkv)
- Video tags and cover embedding support(video now has tags just like mp3 and others)
- Roms cover support
- Fullscreen UI support
- Application space layer(slide in the main screen)
- Custom games space layer(slide in the main screen)
- Animated background support
- Youtube layer(experimental)
- Re-worked ID3 tag editor
- Basic lastfm support
- Favorites layer(experimental)
- Better search mechanism
- Deep search(search items inside albums or sub-albums)
- New UI layout(@ES's final version Gray Moon theme base)
- Re-worked settings layer
- Selectable audio renderer for audio and video
- Re-worked listview control
- Better virtualization
- Better multi-threading handling
- Realtime mirror layer(audio controls)
- Spectrum analyzer
- PS3 BD remote control support(auto syncs when @ES starts)
- Emulator preview on screen slider
- Decent PC(this version isn't for tablets)
- Windows Vista or higher(this version was not made for XP sorry)
- .Net framework 4.0
Last but not least... this is just a preview build of the last stable version. @ES - GraFX "Gray Moon" is the codename of the final version which in its actual form is better and more optimized than this preview build. However since is in current development isn't as stable as this build is. As mentioned in another thread i made a "sort" of feature freeze a while ago so i'm concentrating right now in optimizations and stability of the current build.
The main differences between this preview build and the current "Gray Moon" build are:
- Vector graphics usage instead of bitmaps for better scalability and performance.
- MVVM coding pattern and better project structure(the current preview one was the result of a lot of tests and old code but still is quite stable)
- Better UI handling and x86 tablets mode(for usage on x86 tablets)
- Overal optimizations and modularisation.
- Advanced UI layout based in MVVM coding pattern.
- Open source(except @ES's core which is going to remain close source)
- More screen spaces and customizations.
- Items repositioning and dragging.
- Smoother UI transitions(due to the heavy optimizations).
- Realtime battery status.
- Notifications and events center.
- Wiimote support.
- Stable God Music layer.
- Better global exception handling(0 crashes)
Here some screenshots of "Gray Moon" in its current form:
Note to beta testers:
This version do not include the "God Music" layer for obvious reasons
Enjoy this build and feel free to post any suggestions or bugs that may appear. I've fixed a lot of things since i completed the preview build as mentioned above but maybe there are some hidden bugs somewhere... who knows oh, and remember... this is a preview build so few things may change in the final version or probably aren't working yet... i know i took quite long time to release a nother version but i focus more about quality instead of quantity this days
Over and out
Uploaded a new executable that fixes the following bugs:
- Crash on exit after editing ID3 tag.
- VBA M926 was not grabbed by @ES.
Thanks q_byrd03 for the report!
Uploaded a new build that fixes the following bugs:
- Bug that prevented Dolphin from being grabbed(thanks q_byrd03 for the tests and report)
- But that prevented PJ64 1.7+ from being grabbed(thanks Darksamus for the report)
41 comments on "@ES - GraFX(Preview build) released!"
Might be a bit hard for @ruantec to test that one since "legally" without forking out money he would only have access to 1.6
I have that version of PJ64 if i'm not mistaken but probably didn't tested enough as it use a different class definition and @ES don't see it while is running... once i get home today i'll give a check and eventually post another fix
Thank you DS for the report!
Found another bug on my end
Tag Editor - If you edit a tag of a music file and press tab after you type some text this error will occur
then this happens
where you can use the mouse and slide scroll through those layers
That's actually not a bug but one of my hidden silly tests you just found what it does is to create a coverflow like representation of several layers. The reason you get the error is because of the layers hasn't been initialized because you haven't open it yet. The layers that you need to enter before hitting the tab key are:
- Emulators list
- Audio list
- Settings layer
- Audio controls
You can move the mouse over them to get a nice coverflow effect... to exit press the tab key again. Actually that's the test code for my new smart navigation feature that is going to be activated by clicking here:
The idea is to display the most used layers in a coverflow-like style where you can switch between screens anytime and everywhere.
Basically what that means is rather than the usual function of move to the next text field that the Tab key usually performs in AES it has a shortcut assigned to it that overrides that function.
At some point down the line @ruantec still wanted to make the shortcut keys configurable, I don't know if he ever got around to that.
oh ok thanks @rauntec and SCHUMI_4EVER for the explanations
@ES - GraFX Preview 2 is up! download the new package or just update using the .exe only file.
The new build fixes the following bugs:
- Bug that prevented Dolphin from being grabbed.
- Bug that prevented PJ64 1.7+ from being grabbed.
Thank you once again guys for the great reports!
And another new mirror to go along with that. (Original Mirror post updated as well).
Thanx. PJ64 1.7 is working perfectly now
Latest 64 build of Desmume is causing @ES to crash when I select a rom.
Also a feature that was included in the past is not included now...
I can't rotate the screen for DS games that require the system to be held sideways (Like a book)
This is how Brain Age will appear if @ES boots it...
This is how it should appear...
The DS section needs the option to rotate the screen (for righties and lefties) returned
The reason why Desmume isn't supported atm is because this build uses a different grabbing method while the old one used the old method in order to keep XP compatibility. Desmume is one of those that need a special care but i'm on it and i will get it working back soon... hence why the options are missed.